Varicose veins are often looked at as a frustrating cosmetic problem. The bulging, twisted veins keep people from wearing shorts and skirts. This is true, but there is more. It is a misconception to think of varicose veins as nothing more than an embarrassing cosmetic issue. On a grander scale, varicose veins are one way the body indicates that something is not quite right, that the veins in the legs are not properly returning blood to the heart. If not treated, these veins may pose a risk of bleeding, skin discoloration or sores, or blood clots.
Regardless of how long you’ve been looking at varicose veins on your ankles or legs, you can benefit from a consultation with a vein specialist.
The following are indicators that now is a great time to make an appointment at LA Vein Center:
- One or more veins have become visibly swollen.
- You experience unexplained aching or throbbing that worsens after standing.
- Your legs feel fatigued and heavy or you have a sensation of tightness in them at the end of the day.
- You frequently feel the need to massage or elevate your legs.
- The skin near bulging veins is itchy and noticeably dry.
- You experience frequent leg cramps at night or restless leg syndrome.
- Unexplained bruising on the upper or lower legs.
This is a shortlist of the symptoms caused by varicose veins. Because venous insufficiency can cause a variety of symptoms, many of which are not obvious, it helps to visit a vein specialist when any indication of varicose veins occurs. A consultation with Dr. Lee does not mean you have to immediately follow-through with your diagnosis and undergo vein treatment. This visit allows you to understand where your veins are not functioning properly and what may be done to close them so that blood can move freely through nearby healthy veins.
Vein treatment may look different for everyone. Patients are no longer subjected to surgery like vein stripping. Today, the most commonly performed vein treatments are minimally invasive, comfortable, and effective. To explore your options for getting rid of varicose veins, call our L.A. office at (818) 325-0400.