Vein treatments have come a long way in recent years. However, the advances that have occurred do not diminish the value of good old-fashioned sclerotherapy. This safe and effective procedure is still commonly performed to decrease or eliminate visible spider veins and varicose veins. If you have visible or painful veins that you’d like to have removed, you need to know about sclerotherapy.
What is sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is an injection-based vein treatment that has been performed for many years. It is minimally-invasive and works by depositing a sclerosing agent, usually one that contains salt, into a vein. The fluid that is inserted into the vein causes it to collapse in on itself. The walls of the vein stick together, preventing blood from circulating through. As blood flow redirects to a nearby vein, the visible spider vein or varicose vein disappears.
What are varicose veins and spider veins?
Varicose veins and spider veins are in the same ballpark but are not the same thing. Spider veins sit just beneath the skin and are very small blood vessels. These vessels become visible when a vein that “feeds” them has developed one or more faulty valves. The faulty valves that develop in a larger vein cause blood to back up, eventually leading to swelling and discomfort.
Should I Get Sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is a proven treatment option that has helped many people deal with unattractive and uncomfortable vein problems. The treatment is a great starting point to ending swelling, burning, aching, and itching that go hand-in-hand with unhealthy veins. The treatment is appropriate for healthy adults of all ages.
Benefits of Sclerotherapy
Sclerotherapy can achieve several improvements and offers specific benefits, such as:
- Sclerotherapy is a non-surgical, outpatient treatment that doesn’t require anesthesia or a stay in the hospital. There are no incisions made; only a few injections.
- Patients who get sclerotherapy for spider veins or varicose veins do not need to take time off for recovery. The post-treatment activity restrictions are minor.
- Improved comfort. Without an excess of blood pooling in a vein or veins, patients are much more comfortable when sitting or standing for any length of time.
- Improved appearance. One of the biggest complaints we hear in our Los Angeles vein clinic is that visible veins are unattractive. After the veins collapse and get absorbed, they disappear and the skin returns to its healthy beauty. The results of sclerotherapy start becoming visible after just a few weeks.
- Improved confidence. Without webs of purple and blue veins or bulging, ropy veins, it’s possible to wear shorts or skirts without being self-conscious about your appearance.
Come visit LA Vein Center in Sherman Oaks to learn more about sclerotherapy. Call (818) 325-0400 to schedule your appointment.